Your Duluth Auto Injury Chiropractor
Facts About Auto Accident Injuries
According to both the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), traffic accidents can be broken down this way:
- Every 14 seconds, someone is injured in an automobile accident.
- Accidents are largely the result of drunk drivers (40%), speeding (30%) and reckless driving (33%)
- About 3 million people experience whiplash, neck and back injuries. Of these, 1.5 million will recover.
- Another 600,000 will continue to have long-term symptoms and pain, and another 150,000 will become disabled to a specific degree each year as a result of whiplash.
- 50% of accident victims sustain injuries to the lower back, and of these 15% develop serious nerve damage.
Auto accidents can cause post-traumatic osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis can ruin a person’s posture by giving them a slumped or hump back appearance. Osteoarthritis can cause the discs in the spine to degenerate and create scar tissue formation leading to chronic stiffness and the inability to move properly. Proper treatment can prevent osteoarthritis.
Things You Need To Know If You’ve Been In an Accident
- Make an appointment. Documenting your injuries early and choosing the right doctor can directly affect your settlement from the insurance company.
- If you or someone you know has been involved in an auto accident, see us first before speaking to an attorney or an insurance company.
- Anyone injured may be entitled to treatment at no cost to them. No insurance, No cash, No problem, Just call us. We will guide you through the mine field!
- Our office will work with you to get you the recovery that you deserve.
How our office can help you!
Dr. Hans and his staff are here to help you recover from your injuries quickly. We’ll also document your injuries so that your attorney can get you the best settlement possible. After your initial exam and consultation, Dr. Hans will review your initial exam finding with you and lay out a specific treatment plan to help maximize your recovery. All questions will be answered during your report of findings, which will be conducted on your 2nd visit to our office. Being diagnosed with a soft tissue injury can cause prolonged and even permanent damages if not treated properly and in a timely manner.
Our office works closely with local imaging centers in the metro Atlanta area where you will be referred to for advanced diagnostic imaging which may include MRI’s and/or X-Ray’s to diagnose your condition more accurately. During the course of your treatment, you may also be referred to other healthcare professionals when appropriate.
If you’ve recently been involved in an auto accident, we will work with your attorney on a lien basis. If you have “medical payment coverage” on your auto insurance policy, these claims are typically paid at 100% with no deductible or co-pay. The benefit to having “medical coverage” through your automobile insurance is that your doctor bills are paid to the doctor directly. Most of the time, your insurance company can be billed directly by the doctor’s office. We recommend having a minimum of $5,000 coverage for medical payment coverage. It is also recommended to have uninsured motorist coverage to cover you in case the person who caused the accident does not have insurance or has minimum coverage to pay your medical expenses.
When you come in, we will determine:
- The extent of the injury or injuries
- The number of estimated treatments required to treat your injuries
- If referral to another medical specialist is required
- If special tests are required (i.e. MRI, CT Scan, etc.)
- If you need to take “injury time off” from work (and provide you with a note to present to your employer)
Facts About Whiplash
Whiplash occurs when the neck and the head experience a sudden, sharp motion. The injury often affects the bones, muscles, nerves, and tendons at the neck.The severity of whiplash injuries increases substantially when a person’s head is rotated (like when speaking with someone) or inclined (like when looking up and out through the rear view mirror) during an accident. Some whiplash injuries are easily detected after an accident. Many injuries, however, may take hours, weeks, or even months before symptoms are noticed and properly diagnosed. This is caused in part by the bleeding and formation of scar tissue that occurs in the deep soft tissues that surround the injured area. Studies indicate that injury can occur at impact speeds of 8 mph where there is little or even no damage to the car. Even in these types of accidents, the head can receive up to 2ó times more force than the car itself.
Chiropractic Care after an Auto Accident Injury
If you have been involved in an auto accident chiropractic care is a great alternative to taking pain killers and other prescribed medication such as anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers. Chiropractic care has been proven to be safe and effective to not only decrease pain, muscle spasms and inflammation; it also increases range of motion and loosens tight and restricted spinal joints. Our office combines specific chiropractic adjustments, physiotherapy and spinal rehabilitative exercises to strengthen the para spinal musculature so you will hold your adjustments longer while retraining the muscles that support the spine. This allows you to heal properly and more quickly after an auto accident.
Chiropractic care for “whiplash,” neck, and back pain
Chiropractic care may alleviate the pain and symptoms associated with the whiplash injury without the use of prescribed medication. Headaches, neck pain and pain between both shoulder blades are often a direct result of a whiplash injury. These types of injuries can be treated effectively often without the use of drugs or surgery using a combination of chiropractic care, physical therapy and rehabilitative exercises designed to strengthen the spinal muscles and associated soft tissues.
Is Chiropractic care effective after an auto accident injury?
Injuries to ligaments, tendons, muscles, nerves, and discs cannot be detected by traditional x-ray or medical exams. A chiropractic evaluation includes orthopedic and neurological examinations to begin the process of rehabilitations. Chiropractors will check the alignment to see if there are misaligned vertebrae that occurred during the accident. Misaligned vertebrae are the leading cause of pinched nerves, which lead to muscle spasms and other life-threatening conditions.
If you've been injured in a car accident, contact Duluth Injury & Rehab Center today to schedule an appointment. Our advanced treatment options can help you recover quicker, so you can get back to living your life unhindered by pain and discomfort.