If you’re dealing with chronic muscle pain or stiffness, electrical muscle stimulation (EMS) may provide the relief you’ve been searching for. At Duluth Injury & Rehab Center, we utilize advanced EMS technology to treat a variety of musculoskeletal conditions.
What is Electrical Muscle Stimulation?
Electrical muscle stimulation applies a gentle electrical current through electrodes placed on the skin over the targeted muscles. The electrodes are connected to a small, handheld device that controls the electrical impulses.
During treatment, you’ll feel a slight tingling sensation over the area being stimulated. The electrical impulses cause the muscles to repeatedly contract and relax. This contraction helps:
- Relax muscle spasms
- Increase blood flow to bring nutrients and oxygen
- Reduce swelling and inflammation
- Improve mobility and range of motion
An EMS session typically lasts 10-30 minutes. It’s a completely safe, non-invasive therapy with no side effects.
Conditions Treated with EMS Therapy
EMS therapy is used to reduce pain and improve function for various orthopedic and musculoskeletal conditions. It can help:
- Lower back pain
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Knee pain
- Hip pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Muscle sprains or strains
- Tension headaches
- TMJ pain
The increased blood circulation from EMS treatment helps damaged muscles heal. It also strengthens weak muscles through repeated contraction.
EMS is often used in conjunction with other treatments like chiropractic adjustments, massage, and physical therapy. The combination provides greater, longer-lasting pain relief than any single treatment alone.
Benefits of EMS Therapy
Research shows EMS stimulation offers a number of advantages for managing chronic pain:
- Provides immediate pain reduction
- Relaxes muscle tension and spasms
- Improves mobility and range of motion
- Increases muscular strength
- Accelerates recovery from soft tissue injuries
- Reduces need for medication
- Enhances function for daily tasks
Patients often report a significant decrease in their pain levels after just a few EMS sessions. The relief can last for hours or even days following treatment.
What to Expect During Treatment
An EMS session at our Duluth clinic is quick, comfortable, and easy:
- Small electrode pads are placed on the skin over the muscles being treated.
- The intensity of the electrical stimulation is adjusted to your comfort level. You’ll feel a mild pulsing or tingling sensation.
- Most patients find the therapy relaxing. You simply sit back and let the machine do the work!
- A typical session lasts 10-30 minutes depending on the muscles being targeted.
- After treatment, you may feel less pain and stiffness. Increased mobility is common.
- Be sure to stay hydrated and limit caffeine before your visit.
- No need to disrobe. Wear comfortable clothing with access to the area being treated.
EMS therapy requires no effort on your part. Our skilled staff handles the equipment. You just relax and let the electrical pulses stimulate your muscles!
FAQs About EMS Treatment
Is it safe? Yes, electrical muscle stimulation is extremely safe when administered by a trained professional. It’s a widely-used treatment for pain management.
What does it feel like? You’ll feel a mild pulsing or tingling over the area being stimulated. It is not painful. The intensity is adjusted for your comfort.
How long do results last? Most patients have reduced pain for hours or days following a session. A treatment plan is recommended for lasting relief.
When will I notice improvement? Some patients have immediate reduction in their pain after the first visit. Maximum benefits typically occur after 4-6 treatments.
How often should I get EMS therapy? For chronic pain, we recommend 2-3 treatments per week for the first 2-4 weeks. Maintenance is 1-2 times per month.
If you're tired of suffering from nagging muscle or joint pain, it's time to explore EMS therapy at Duluth Injury & Rehab Center. Call or schedule your consultation online today to learn more!