If you’re dealing with chronic or acute pain from an injury or condition, therapeutic ultrasound offered by Duluth Injury & Rehab Center may help you finally find relief. This non-invasive treatment uses sound waves to reduce pain and accelerate healing.
How Therapeutic Ultrasound Works
Therapeutic ultrasound delivers sound waves through the skin and into the deeper tissues using a handheld wand-like device. A gel is applied to the skin to help conduct the sound waves.
The ultrasound machine can be set to deliver two different wave frequencies:
- High frequency ultrasound – Transmits sound waves at 1-3 MHz which are absorbed by the skin and tissues just below the surface. This setting is used to treat injuries and pain affecting muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues.
- Low frequency ultrasound – Transmits sound waves at 30-60 Hz which can penetrate deep into joints and bone. This is used to treat conditions like osteoarthritis, bursitis, and bone fractures.
Regardless of the frequency, the ultrasound waves provide benefits through:
- Increasing blood flow to the treated area
- Reducing muscle spasms
- Decreasing inflammation and swelling
- Numb nerve endings to relieve pain
- Accelerating the healing process
A typical ultrasound session will last 5-10 minutes. It is a very safe modality with no negative side effects.
Conditions That Respond to Ultrasound Therapy
Therapeutic ultrasound has been shown effective at treating both chronic and acute orthopedic conditions including:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Shoulder, knee, neck, or back pain
- Muscle strains and tears
- Joint sprains
- Bone fractures
- Heel spurs
- And many more!
The increased circulation and reduced inflammation provided by ultrasound can bring significant relief for many painful issues. It’s often used in conjunction with chiropractic adjustment, massage, exercise therapy, and other treatments.
Benefits of Therapeutic Ultrasound
Research has found multiple advantages to using ultrasound for pain management and recovery:
- Reduces muscle and joint pain
- Relaxes muscle tension and spasms
- Increases range of motion
- Decreases stiffness and swelling
- Accelerates tissue and bone healing
- Diminishes nerve pain and numbness
- Improves blood flow and circulation
- Non-invasive and drug-free
Patients often experience a reduction in their discomfort and increased mobility after just a few sessions. The benefits accumulate over time with regular use.
What to Expect During Treatment
Ultrasound therapy is comfortable, convenient, and easy:
- A water-based gel is applied to your skin over the area being treated. This gel helps transmit the sound waves.
- The technician glides the ultrasound transducer head over the treatment area, dispersing sound waves deep into the tissues.
- There is little sensation other than some warmth in the treated area.
- Session length is 5-10 minutes depending on the size of the area.
- You simply relax while the ultrasound machine does the work. No active participation required.
- After treatment you can immediately resume normal activity with no downtime.
Our knowledgeable staff will walk you through everything during your visit. The process is straight-forward and our patients find it very soothing.
Why Choose Duluth Injury & Rehab for Ultrasound Therapy?
When you’re looking for safe, effective pain relief, choose Duluth Injury & Rehab for your therapeutic ultrasound needs. Our clinic offers:
- Extensive experience using ultrasound to treat injuries and chronic conditions successfully. We know how to get optimal results.
- A warm, welcoming environment. Our staff understands pain and will ensure your comfort.
- Ultrasound as part of comprehensive treatment plans. We combine ultrasound with other therapies to maximize your healing.
- Convenient scheduling online
If you’re dealing with chronic muscle or joint pain, therapeutic ultrasound may provide the solution you’ve been searching for.